Assignment Office FAQs


Assignment Office FAQs 




People entering the Courthouse will no longer be required wear a mask, regardless of vaccination status.

PLEASE NOTE: Due to mandatory health and security screenings at the entrance to the Courthouse, please arrive early for any court proceeding that you must attend. If you are running a fever, DO NOT COME TO COURT. You will be denied entry. You may but are not required to wear a mask when coming to court. Please review notices elsewhere on this web site for updated information.

Click Here for Court Dockets

The Court has issued an order for garnishments and related proceedings. Please review the GARNISHMENT SPECIAL ORDER here.

PLEASE NOTE: The Court has issued a stay of foreclosure and sheriff’s sale proceedings. Please review the Order Staying Foreclosure here.

Where is the Assignment Office and how can I contact it?

The Assignment Office is located on the second floor of the Clermont County Common Pleas Courthouse, immediately adjacent to the main lobby across from Courtroom 201. The Assignment Office phone number is 513-732-7108.

What does the Assignment Office do?

The Assignment Office is responsible, at the direction of the judges, for setting up all future trials and hearings on the judges’ official calendar, updating the court docket when there are changes, and sending notices to attorneys and parties. The staff also directs all parties that are in court to the correct courtroom, answers phone inquiries from attorneys and the public, makes necessary copies, and performs general office duties to assist the court.

Can I see the Court Dockets online? 

Yes. The Court’s weekly dockets are posted on this web site and can be accessed by clicking here- “Court Dockets”.

Can the Assignment Office grant me a continuance?

No. Only a judge can grant a continuance. The Assignment Office will act only at the direction of the judge. The Assignment Office cannot change a trial date or set any motion for hearing without the prior approval of the assigned judge.

How do I get a continuance?

All motions for a continuance must be filed in writing with the Clerk of Courts and reviewed by the assigned judge. You will need to provide a courtesy copy to the assigned judge. Most motions for a continuance require an oral hearing. If the judge grants the continuance, the Assignment Office will select a new date and send notice to all counsel and any unrepresented parties.

I just filed a case seeking a TRO and a preliminary injunction. How do I get those hearings set up quickly?

Upon filing your motion, the Clerk will instruct you to take a copy of your filed TRO/preliminary injunction documents to the Assignment Office. Once there, the Assignment Clerk will contact the assigned judge on the case for his review.

I need to set a discovery hearing with the judge. How do I do that?

You should file a motion with the Clerk of Courts and leave a courtesy copy for the assigned judge. Once the judge reviews it, he will either have the matter set for a hearing or have you submit an entry for his approval and signature. The Assignment Office cannot set any motion for hearing without the prior approval of the assigned judge.

I have a pending motion that requires oral argument before the judge. How do I set that up?

You should supply the assigned judge with a courtesy copy of your filed motion for his review. The Assignment Office cannot set any motion for hearing without the prior approval of the assigned judge.

My case needs a case management conference or a pre-trial with the judge. How is that set up?

The initial hearings in a civil or criminal case are automatically set by the Court. Cases are monitored by the judge and staff for appropriate action.

I need to file something so that it is scheduled on the docket. Where do I go?

If a person needs to file court papers, you must go to the Clerk’s Office. The Assignment Office does not accept filings. If you have an attorney, generally the attorney takes care of filing court papers.

What is a bond hearing and when are bond hearings set?

A bond hearing is a proceeding where a judge sets the terms and conditions for the pre-trial release for an individual charged with a crime. The judge can set a cash/surety bond, a recognizance bond, and may impose conditions such as not having contact with the alleged victim of the crime. The purpose of a bond hearing is to try to ensure that a criminal defendant appears for trial. Most judges hold bond hearings each morning at 8:30 AM.

What is an arraignment and when are arraignments held?

An arraignment is the first court proceeding (other than a bond hearing) in a criminal case after a person is indicted.  An arraignment is where someone is formally charged, the case is assigned to a judge, and the matter is given a first pretrial date. An arraignment proceeding may also include the appointment of counsel for an indigent defendant and the setting of bond. Arraignments are usually on Wednesdays and Fridays. As with the bond hearings, each judge presides over arraignments on a rotating basis.

I think my case would benefit from mediation. How do I get a mediation conference scheduled?

The assigned judge has to refer your case for mediation. This is usually done at the first meeting with the judge.

How are hearings in civil protection order (CPO) cases set up?

Once a petition for a CPO is filed with the Clerk of Courts, these hearings are automatically set by the court.

My case is set for trial soon. Can the case be postponed so we can mediate?

The Court would prefer that you mediate before doing final trial preparation. It is in the discretion of the assigned judge whether or not to move a trial date to allow mediation. You can check with the Court Mediator to see if something can be scheduled on short notice before the scheduled trial date.

I have a civil case ready to go to trial. How can I be sure my case will go forward as scheduled?

Please remember that criminal cases take priority over civil matters. While the Court will make every effort to get your case to court on time, there may be circumstances where a continuance is necessary because the judge must preside over a criminal trial. You can call the judge’s chambers the day before your trial is set to go to check on the judge’s availability.

My case settled through negotiations. How should I let the Court know that it will be dismissed?

You should call both the judge’s chambers and the Assignment Office to let them know of the settlement. Please make sure you file your dismissal entry within 30 days of the settlement agreement and pay any outstanding court costs.

Map and Directions


General FAQs for Everyone Coming to the Courthouse