Clerk’s Office FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions About the Clerk’s Office



PLEASE NOTE: In order to better serve the court, the public, and the legal community, the hours of the Common Pleas Clerk of Courts are now 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.

What does the Clerk of Courts do?

The Clerk of Courts is the elected official responsible for all the documents filed with the Common Pleas Court, maintaining the court’s files, for issuing warrants, summons and executing bonds, for issuing motor vehicle and watercraft titles, for registering notary public commissions, and accepting passport applications.

Where is the Clerk of Courts office?

The Clerk of Courts office that accepts filings for the Clermont County Common Pleas Court General Division is located on the first floor of the Clermont County Courthouse, 270 East Main Street, Batavia.  Filings are accepted Monday through Friday, 7:30 AM until 4:00 PM. The office is closed on all legal holidays.

Can the Clerk of Courts help me prepare my court papers?

No. The Clerk of Courts only accepts documents for inclusion in the official court file. The office cannot help you create a court document. Blank forms are available for some court actions.  The Clerk’s staff cannot give you legal advice. You are permitted to research legal matters at the Clermont County Law Library on the second floor of the Courthouse.

Does the Clerk have a web site?

Yes. The Clerk’s web site is located at

I need official copies of a court document for another use outside of court. What do I do?

You should ask for a “certified copy” which is a copy of the court paper that includes the official seal of the Clerk of Courts to let other people or organizations know that the document is an official copy of a court original. The charge for a certified copy is $2.00.  Copies which do not require certification can be purchased for ten cents per page.

I want to pay a filing fee or other charge by credit card. Can I do that?

No. At the present time, the Clerk does not accept credit cards payments; only cash, check, and money order. Please make checks and money orders payable to: Common Pleas Clerk of Courts.

I want to file a civil case.  What is the fee?

The fee is based upon the type of civil action or court document being filed.  The official list of court costs and filing fees can be found under Appendix A of the local rules. Click here for Appendix A.

I’m indigent and have no money for a filing fee. What do I do?

You must provide the Court with a notarized affidavit of indigency or a poverty affidavit along with your original filing.  You must also file a motion requesting permission from the Court to allow your case to proceed without payment of the filing fee.

How do I get my witness fee?

Witnesses in criminal cases should report to the Clerk’s office with their subpoena when they have completed their testimony.  The Clerk will issue a voucher for witness fees and any appropriate mileage.  Witnesses in civil cases will be paid when the case has been concluded and the costs have been paid.

My case has been dismissed. How do I get a refund of my court costs?

The balance, if any, of your filing fee will automatically be refunded when the notice/entry of dismissal has been filed.

I’ve been sued or indicted and have no money for an attorney. Will one be appointed for me?

The right to an attorney only applies in criminal cases.  If the court finds that you are indigent, an attorney will be appointed in a criminal case.  The Court cannot appoint anyone to represent you in a civil matter.  If you can’t afford an attorney, you can contact Legal Aid or another organization that provides counsel for indigent parties in a civil case.

I don’t understand a lot of legal language. Is there somewhere I can look to better understand legal terminology?

Yes. This web site has glossaries for both general legal language and one specifically for the Clerk’s Office. Please click here. This web site cannot give you legal advice. These glossaries are not substitutes for the advice of a qualified attorney on your particular legal situation.

Where do I get an auto, truck, or boat title?

Even though the Clerk of Courts handles auto titles, you cannot get a title in the Courthouse. You can get a title at the title office, 457 Main Street, Batavia, or at the Milford / Miami Township satellite office, 1011 Lila Avenue, Milford. The link to the title office is

Map and Directions


General FAQs for Everyone Coming to the Courthouse